Lead Exposure and Early Intervention
As one of the most hazardous environmental health risks for young children, lead exposure can have serious long term health problems that transfer into adulthood. For young, developing brains, lead exposure is especially damaging. Research shows lead poisoning can cause developmental delay, decreased IQ, decreased reading readiness, and higher incidence of ADHD. Lead exposed children become susceptible to negative consequences in their future, such as impaired academic performance, underemployment, and increased delinquent tendencies. Legal Council’s pilot program was designed to prevent lead-induced delay from manifesting by making lead exposed children automatically eligible for support through Early Intervention, which helps young children who are experiencing or are at risk of developmental disability/delay through services like physical and developmental therapy.
Legal Council's lead team held their first training for Early Intervention service coordinators in July 2018, launching our pilot project with Erikson Institute and the Early Intervention Training Program.
Our Publications & Media Coverage
- Illinois can be a leader in preventing lead poisoning, Crain's Chicago Business, Jan. 2019
- Study Hopes To Help Lead-Exposed Children Before Learning Disparities Emerge, Huffington Post, Dec. 2018
- Making the Case for Use of Federal WIC Funds to Conduct Blood Lead Testing, Nov. 2018
- Illinois Health Care Provider Quick Resource Guide, (updated) Oct. 2018
- Advocating for Automatic Eligibility for Early Intervention Services for Children Exposed to Lead, Oct. 2018
- An Innovative Pilot Program to Provide Early Intervention for Illinois’ Lead Poisoned Children, Aug. 2018
- Letter: Lead poisoning doesn't need to ruin lives, Chicago Tribune, Feb. 2016
About Our EI/Lead Pilot
- New Approaches to Childhood Lead Poisoning: Legal Council's Early Intervention and Lead work fact sheet, (updated) March 2019
- Press Release: Illinois Foundation Makes Pioneering Investment to Address Childhood Lead Burden, July. 2018
- First Steps: Launching our Lead Pilot, July. 2018
- Press Release: Legal Council Awarded Innovation Grant From Illinois Council on Developmental Disabilities, Nov. 2017
Presentations, Webinars, & Other Resources
- VIDEO: Understanding the Neurocognitive Effects of Low-Level Lead Poisoning, June 2019
- VIDEO: The Benefits of Early Intervention for Children Who Have Been Lead Exposed, April 2019
- VIDEO: Understanding the Neurocognitive Effects and Developmental Outcomes of Low-Level Lead Toxicity, March 2018
- The Ripple Effects of Childhood Lead Poisoning (English and Spanish)
Legislation & Rulemaking
- Public Act 101-0010, Section 5-95: Amendment to the Early Intervention Services System Act, creating automatic eligibility for Early Intervention for children with lead poisoning
- Testimony in Support of Capital Bill Funding for Statewide Lead Paint Abatement Investments
- SB 2996, Protect Children by Updating Illinois’ Lead Poisoning Definition to Meet CDC Standard
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Act
- SB 0550, Lead Hazard Cost Recovery Fee
- IDPH Comments: Advocates Second Notice Clarifications
- Legal Council Comments on Proposed Amendments to Lead Poisoning Prevention Code 100118
From the Blog
- Big Victory in Illinois for Lead-Exposed Children, June 3, 2019: "Illinois children with lead poisoning will soon have access to critical supports and services, thanks to legislation spearheaded by Legal Council’s child health advocates." Read more.
- New Year, New Rules: Leading the Lead Fight, Jan. 18, 2019: "This past Tuesday, a state panel approved groundbreaking policies in the fight to protect children and prevent childhood lead poisoning." Read more.
- Early Intervention Pilot Study for Lead-Exposed Kids, Dec. 20, 2018: "Huffington Post featured Legal Council’s first-of-its-kind Early Intervention (EI) pilot for infants and toddlers." Read more.
- New Publication: Advocating for Automatic Eligibility for EI Services, Oct. 16, 2018: "A new article penned by Legal Council advocates was recently published in Pediatric Annals." Read more.
- Punishing and toxic neighborhood environments independently predict the intergenerational social mobility of black and white children, April 2019
- Findings of a Statewide Environmental Lead Inspection Program Targeting Homes of Children With Blood Lead Levels as 5µg/dL, Jan. 2019
- Low Level Lead Exposure and Mortality in US Adults, March 2018
- Children's Lead Exposure: A Multimedia Modeling Analysis to Guide Public Health Decision-Making, Sept. 2017