Pages Navigation Menu


News about changing immigration laws and attitudes seems to be everywhere. For those people born outside the U.S. who have HIV, there may be extra hurdles to face. These examples below suggest some of the issues that AIDS Legal Council is asked to deal with on a regular basis. If you have questions about your immigration status, take a little time to read through our legal guides and look at some of the information listed below. If you have any questions or face anything similar to the situations below, please call us at 312-427-8990.

  • Carlos is from Mexico. He and his partner David want to get married so that Carlos can obtain a Green Card to live and work in the United States. Carlos works, but uses the ADAP program for medications since he does not have health insurance through his job. He wants to know how his ADAP eligibility will be affected if he gets married.
  • Alex was born in Russia. He has been living in the U.S for 10 years after entering on a tourist visa. Last year he was diagnosed with HIV. He wants to know what his options for treatment are since he does not have health insurance and is not a Legal Permanent Resident.
  • Naresh came to the U.S. to visit his brother. A few weeks before he was supposed to return to India, he got very sick and was diagnosed with HIV at Cook County Hospital. He wonders if he can get his tourist visa extended so that he can continue to see the Cook County doctor until his health is stabilized.

Some useful links: