Work with us
Join our team! The Legal Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender, and Veterans are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
Open job positions
Bilingual Legal Assistant
We are seeking a second bilingual (English/Spanish) legal assistant to share responsibility to support the clerical and administrative needs of the agency’s legal and development staffs.
- Welcome guests and clients in person or on the telephone, answer, direct inquiries, or take messages;
- Enter data into the client and proprietary databases, create and monitor client files, and generate reports;
- Conserve attorney/paralegal time by reading, reviewing, verifying, and routing correspondence, reports and legal documents to Social Security and other government agencies;
- Prepare, send, monitor and follow-up on requests for records in individual client cases;
- Manage high volume of medical and school records and billing;
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of training and outreach materials, publications, and mailings; and
- Maintain client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
HOW TO APPLY
- Position open until filled. Email (no phone calls or mailed applications, please) resume, compelling cover letter, and three professional references with subject line “Legal Assistant” to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Legal Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender, and Veterans are welcomed and encouraged to apply.
BENEFITS: The starting salary will be based upon experience and qualifications, and is negotiable. Full benefits (medical, dental, 401(k), paid vacation and sick days, etc.). MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: 2-year degree; familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Pre-Med Legal Care Extern/Healthy Futures AmeriCorps
Chicago Medical-Legal Partnership for Children, a program of the Legal Council for Heath Justice, is seeking a qualified candidate for the 2017-2018 school year. Externs will have a wide variety of responsibilities and be involved in all aspects of program work, from policy initiatives to helping with client intakes. The applicant should be well-rounded, have a desire to work in a healthcare field and have an interest in policy. Fluency in Spanish is a plus. This is a great option for students taking a gap year before attending medical school. We aim to offer significant exposure to health policy and demonstrate ways future healthcare professionals can be effective advocates for their patients. See the full posting here. Limited compensation for this position is available through registering and applying through AmeriCorps by May 1, 2017.
Communications Coordinator, AmeriCorps VISTA
Help launch a new role and focus within our rapidly growing nonprofit to elevate public awareness of the power of the law to promote healthier people and places. Now more than ever, access to health is a key social justice issue, especially among Illinoisans challenged by chronic, disabling, and stigmatizing health conditions. The Communications Coordinator will help us build capacity to harness our thought leadership in social determinants of health. Responsibilities will include media relations, social media management, brand and content strategy, and storytelling. Limited compensation for this position is available through registering and applying through AmeriCorps by June 15, 2017.
Pro Bono and Volunteer Opportunities
In addition to occasional openings for leadership, staff attorneys, paralegals, and support staff, we regularly offer fellowship, internship, externship, pro bono and other volunteer opportunities that offer a range of ways for you to help advance our mission. We also sponsor several AmeriCorps VISTA positions that offer a stipend, health coverage, and additional benefits in exchange for a year of service with our organization. To learn more about pro bono and volunteer opportunities, contact our program and administrative directors: